I had done a previous article on GM crops, and decided to do another, more in-depth review of this subject. Originally, I was going to cover possible links between genetically modified foods and cancer. But in the process of reviewing a PowerPoint presentation based on the award-winning movie, Seeds of Deception by GMO activist Jeffrey Smith, I was totally floored by the extent of the danger of genetically modified food elements. It is a literal Pandora’s Box of danger. Preliminary studies have linked GMO foods with cancer, degenerative diseases, birth defects, sterility, and other health conditions.
This is a video presentation given by Jeffrey Smith. It is entitled Don’t Put That in Your Mouth. It is a great video on the dangers of GM food. It is a little over an hour long, and is very informative. You really need to watch it.
Despite danger and warnings at every corner, GM crops have been foisted upon the world, especially in America. Political influence, payoffs, kickbacks, intimidation and the promise of huge corporate profits have allowed Monsanto and other biotech companies to corrupt the political process and get GM crops approved for human and animal consumption. If you thought the FDA and Congress was here to protect the people from dangerous foods, think again. It’s time to wake up from your Mass Media induced coma and face the fact that if you want to protect yourself and your children and their children from the deadly effects of GM foods, you’re going to have to do it yourself because the government and regulators have been either paid off or silenced so that biotechnology companies can earn mega profits.
If you sleep on this one, by the time the truth becomes known, it will be too late because the effects of these GM elements will already be in the genes of your children and grandchildren. Just because people aren’t dropping dead in large numbers yet doesn’t mean that it won’t happen in the near future.
The worst thing about these GM crops and genes is that once they get into the wild, they will eventually contaminate all of the non-GM crops so that at some point in the future, there will be no non-GM crops in the world! Once the GM genes have contaminated all of the non-GM plants, there is presently no way to remove these synthetic genes from the plants. We’ll all be stuck with these toxic plants that produce toxic foods.
It’s so bad that I made it through about one third of the PowerPoint presentation, and literally scared the crap out of myself. And I don’t scare easy! But this is such a pernicious, sinister, critical threat to life as we know it that people need to really step up and fight to ban all GM crops used for food for humans and animals. This area is ripe for a plethora of ‘unintended consequences’.
GM crops are very prevalent in the United States. GM elements comprise approximately 91% of soy, 73% of corn, 87% of cotton and 80% of canola oil (mostly grown in Canada). In addition, soy and corn is a ubiquitous ingredient in the majority of processed foods. In fact, it is said that any food that comes in a box in the supermarket can be assumed to contain GM elements.
GM foods may be associated with a number of problems. It is hard to specifically define them because biotechnology companies do not allow independent scientist to acquire their products. They have manipulated the political process so that they have patent protection over their GM products. Genetically modified foods have been associated with:
- Disruption of DNA
- GM proteins-they can be allergens, toxins, new diseases, nutritional problems, herbicide tolerance and pesticide production
- Changes in proteins
- Herbicide residues
- Transfer of genes to gut bacteria and/or humans and animals
As a case study on Roundup Ready Soy, it was found that there is hard evidence of all the above sources of problems. In addition, it has been found that after GM soy was introduced, there has been an increased incident of soy allergies. We know that correlation does not prove causation, but the evidence has been compelling when considered with other related information and studies. In some rat studies, GM foods have been correlated with precancerous lesions and neoplastic growths.
What is scary about genetically modified foods and crops is:
- There is no post-marketing surveillance. This means that if there are problems with GM foods, there would be no effective, rapid way to even trace effects back to particular foods, lots, companies, or any other possible causative factor related to them.
- No human clinical trials. We are at the mercy of biotechnology companies that stand to make billions of dollars from selling GM foods, and could lose billions if they are ever found to be dangerous. This is a very big conflict of interest. The biotech companies are essentially ‘self-regulating’, just like the banking industry has been. That should be cause for great alarm.
- No proper evaluation of plant changes or effects. Due to the lack of studies, and probably because biotechnology companies do not want to verify the danger of GM crops and foods, they are very vehement when it comes to suppressing independent studies of them.
- GM approvals are based on confuted or untested assumptions. The approvals of most GM foods and other related regulations are based on an FDA determination by an industry insider while he was head of FDA. This was while various FDA personnel recommended long-term, detailed studies of all GM foods and crops before they were ever deemed safe for human consumption.
- Industry studies are probably rigged to avoid finding problems. When millions and billions of dollars are dependent upon a particular finding, those who stand to gain from that finding will ‘find’ it, regardless of the facts. Industry studies tout the safety of GM foods, while independent studies find numerous problems with them.
One of the researchers, a distinguished award-winning professor named Dr. Arpad Pusztai, questioned the safety of GM foods after he performed a preliminary study. He reported that they were dangerous in the media, and was subsequently fired from his tenured position and was thereafter politically and professionally ostracized. He does not receive any funding for research any more.
Allergist Dr. John Boyles said, ”I used to test for soy allergies all the time, but now that soy is genetically engineered, it is so dangerous that I tell people never to eat it unless is says organic.”
In order to avoid eating GM foods, you must:
- -Buy organic, which isn’t allowed to use GM inputs
- -Buy products labeled Non-GMO
- -Buy products listed on a Non-GMO Shopping Guide
- -Read labels and avoid the at-risk ingredients: soy protein isolate, lecithin, high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, maltodextrin, all corn derivatives, canola oil, cottonseed oil, rBGH, rBST, etc.
Just remember that if you want to protect yourself from the dangerous effects of GMO foods, you’re going to have to do it yourself. The people that are supposed to be protecting us are merely selling out to the highest bidder. Most of them just ‘go along to get along’. Take a stand for health and freedom!